PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC 3 down near Berlin
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 08:41
stevef

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Not quite; hydraulic pressure raises the gear but once up, it's locked by moving the selector into neutral, thereby trapping fluid in the lines. As you know, sometimes periodic 'Up' selection is required to stop the gear from lowering slightly in flight due to leakage past the selector shear seals.
As long as the landing gear is correctly serviced (lubricated), once it free-falls, either airflow pressure or application of a little 'g' should get the downlock latches to engage into 'Spring Lock'. Or, assuming there are no open lines, the handpump will snick it in, once the line suction has dissipated after a short while. When jacked in the hangar, light hand pressure on the crossbrace after free-fall is enough to prove the system isn't mechanically tight.

It's difficult to get a story from those photographs but I wouldn't be optimistic about getting the aircraft back into the air.
G-AMPZ was an old friend of mine; very sad to see her like this. In perspective, no one was badly hurt, so 'she done good'.

I remember reading that article about a DC3 taking off on one engine; I'll try to find it. It was empty though.
Ah, here we go:
One engine 1000 meter take off submitted by:John Miller

Last edited by stevef; 20th Jun 2010 at 09:07. Reason: Addition of link.