PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wahoo... I just got a gliding scholarship!
Old 28th Jul 2002, 14:21
FL390

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Now that's somthing I will remember for a looooong time....

I just hought I would report back as to how my week went...

AMAZING! SUPERB! BRILLIANT! OUTSTANDING! THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE (in and aircraft )

Just a few words that I can think of off the top of my head at this point in time.

We had a brilliant instructor - pupil - aircraft ratio; 9 pupils, 6 instructors and 4 Vigilants (most of the time). So from the outset it looked as though we would get a lot of flying time in. This was 612VGS at Abingdon, not too far away from me in London.

We had a little lecture about the primary and secondary effects of the controls etc and then we were taken out to the aircraft. I had the honour of having the famous Plt Off Coates. What a pilot. On only the second day I had completed my first take off and landing, though I was rather keen on sampling both edges of the runway on the same take off and landing.

We continued at a pace, rushing through the work, with only minor interruptions for rain and by Thursday, after a whopping 8 hours under my belt, I took to the skies on my own for the first time. Aaaahhhhh.

======

My thanks to Plt Off Coates for sticking with me and teaching me to fly the aircraft; I loved every minute of it and I've had that picture of you developed sir.