PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadetship
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 06:24
travelator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krusty, not changed I just omitted that option.

5.172 Aeronautical experience: minimum requirements
(1) For the purposes of paragraph 5.165 (1) (f), a person’s
aeronautical experience must consist of at least 1,500 hours of
flight time that includes 750 hours as pilot of a registered
aeroplane, or a recognised aeroplane.
(2) The 750 hours must include:
(a) any of the following:
(i) at least 250 hours of flight time as pilot in command;
(ii) at least 500 hours of flight time as pilot acting in
command under supervision;
(iii) at least 250 hours of flight time, consisting of at least
70 hours of flight time as pilot in command and the
balance as pilot acting in command under
supervision; and
(b) at least 200 hours of cross-country flight time; and
(c) at least 75 hours of instrument flight time; and
(d) at least 100 hours of flight time at night as pilot in
command or as co-pilot.

Therefore the following three scenarios are possible:

1. Cadet has less than 70 hours command time, subsection iii does not apply, therefore 500 hours ICUS is required. (subs ii)

2. Cadet has more than 70 but less than 250 hours command, the balance can be made up of ICUS (max of 180) as per subsection iii.

3. Cadet has more than 250 hours command then they already meet part of the requirement.

I don’t know what the experience levels of those applying are but I would doubt many fall into the third option. Those that would require ICUS, answer me this. Why would Jetstar offer ICUS flying to them? It would mean that these cadets would then have to be paid the same as a qualified FO so why bother having cadets in the first place? You WILL be stuck on this low pay for a very long time.

I don’t want to get into the debate about cadets versus GA (because I am ex GA and therefore biased). I want those that are looking at this scheme to think carefully. Do not be fooled into thinking that the pay will improve, it won’t for a very long time. Don’t be fooled into thinking that you will be living where you want, you will be living where you are told for a very long time. At least if you slog it out in GA, nobody will own your soul and you have control over your career.