PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 02:56
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chronic Snoozer

If you could see that the field is fogged in. Simple.
Yes, that's a completely fair point... however nobody who was there or in the vicinity seems to think that was the case. I don't know either way.

Quote:
However, despite the training you gave him, the end result was tragic and from what I can tell, probably did not need to be.
Is this really a comment that needs to be made so early in the piece? Its directed at an individual and given the circumstances is not what he needs/wants to hear right now. His reaction is understandable.
See, this is where I fail to understand why so-called professionals simply lash out rather than reading what is written (not meaning davidgrant or GADRVR, just talking generally).

I have been training pilots for over 20 years, mostly in the airline environment, and I have seen lots of them make bad decisions DESPITE all the training I had given them. That is simply because all humans, irrespective of their prior training, occasionally make bad judgement calls or get caught out in their thinking. All trainers (well, the ones with consciences, anyway) want to give their students the best possible equipment to deal with whatever they come across.

In this case, nobody has at any point questioned the quality of the training, least of all me. The final decisions all come down to the pilot in command, and you can only hope he will remember his training and act accordingly. Humans being humans, that isn't always the case. Stress is different outside the training environment, where you know you will always get the engine back if you really need it... so sometimes fear takes over.

The one thing I did learn over all those years of training, is that if I train a guy properly, and he screws up, it absolutely isn't my fault. Whether he chooses, or is able, to use what I taught him or her, is totally his or her choice.

Any professional trainer should know that.

das uber soldat

You say yourself we'll never know the answer to those questions, yet you persist with it. I think the people here feel more that you're simply making an attack on his character.
That is the stupidest comment yet. In what way am I attacking his character? Not that his character has ANYTHING to do with any of this anyway...

What I am saying (if you had bothered to read it) is that the REPORT will tell you nothing, because it will only draw on available facts, of which there are few. So it is incumbent on us, his peers, to try and work out what happened and why - because otherwise, nothing will ever be learned.

conflict alert

You take the 500hr pilot and the 10000hr pilot - put them in the same aircraft type and when confronted with the same emergency, an emergency that neither have ever experienced before, under the same conditions I don't believe one is any more experienced in dealing with that particular emergency than the other, simply because neither have experienced it!!
You are missing the point. The experienced pilot has far more relevant knowledge to draw on, far more training, probably more mental capacity to deal with emergencies, and will have seen far more in the way of abnormal or emergency situations, bad weather, etc. As the experienced guy is almost certainly an airline pilot, his training will have been deeper and more comprehensive, but probably more importantly, he will have learned that a calm and measured approach is more important than sheer speed of action.

Most GA training is carried out by people who themselves have very low experience, often these instructors have never seen a real emergency themselves and have nothing to pass on other than "dead leg, dead engine".

I know for sure that at 500 hours, I had never seen a serious failure, none of my instructors had either, and all I had to go on was theory, and the hope that I would do the right thing if the time ever came. At 10,000 hours (just recently), I had spent approximately 450 hours over 20 years sitting in simulators practising every conceivable emergency. Am I better equipped now than I was at 500 hours? Absolutely. I know that I would approach any emergency completely differently now, compared to what I would have done at 500 hours (thank God).

It's what civil servants call "institutional memory".