PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadetship
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 02:09
travelator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be warned kids. As far as I understand it, they will pay ‘junior FO’ rates until the cadet holds an ATPL. I’m sure that those considering this path are aware of the requirements to be issued with an ATPL. For those that aren’t, CAR 1988 5.172 states amongst other things:
1,500 hours flight time of which a minimum MUST be 250 hours command or 500 hours ICUS.

Point 1. 1,500 hours of flight time, as FO you can only count 50% therefore 3,000 hours of total aeronautical experience. Expect at least 3.5 years to achieve this.

Point 2. 250 hours command or 500 hours ICUS. I doubt very much that they will be conducting ICUS operations. Perhaps if you were coming up for a command they may include it as part of your command training.

So expect to be on the JFO salary for more than the 6 years unless you already have the command requirements!

Be very careful about where they will base you also. Don’t expect to be living at home with Mum and Dad in Brisbane waiting for your command, expect to be in Darwin or Singapore or whatever new offshore base they will start in the near future.

The most important point of all, airline flying is incredibly boring 99% of the time. GA days are tough and thankless but some of the most enjoyable and rewarding flying you will ever do. You get to fly into places that very few people get to visit, you get to fly over some spectacular scenery that other people pay for the privilege. You will have life experiences and tales to pass onto your children about things that you did rather than things that the jet did while you watched.