PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadetship
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 00:14
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who haven't heard of the Indian Indentureship do a Google search. Here's an extract about it from Wiki answers

This was the arrival of East Indians from India to the Caribbean countries to replace the labour after the end of the Atlantic slave. Many Caribbean countries like Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana are a few of the many Caribbean nations that endure Indian Indentureship. Many of the East Indians were paid for their labour but in very very small amounts. The East Indians were promised a better way of life from the life many had in India but many soon came to the realization that their promised life was only a trap to get them to do the hard work the slaves no longer wanted to do.
For any one considering the cadetship you need to consider why Jetstar is introducing such a scheme.

Cadetships have been used where there has been a lack of pilots to fill the junior ranks of airlines. That situation does not exist in this part of the world. There are plenty of qualified pilots who could work for Jetstar so why do they need to have a cadet scheme?

The only conclusion I can come to, is to have a source of cheaper labour. In other words undermine what the current pilots are being paid.

I would suggest that any prospective cadet look at what the likes of OAA and CTC have done with the UK cadet market. They have flooded that market with pilots with brand new licences who are unable to find a job or at least a proper full time job. They will do the same here, they will need to train more than just the pilots that Jetstar needs in order to sustain their operations. Their focus is on making money, their marketing is very good but they don't tell you the whole story.

I don't have a problem with cadets as such but I do have a real problem with the promoters of the likes of the Jetstar cadet programme and outfits like OAA, CTC etc.

Last edited by 27/09; 20th Jun 2010 at 00:42.