PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2010, 18:38
aviator777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answers sought

May I suggest that some of the heat in this discussion has been due to the perceived questioning of Andrew's decision(s).

We dont have all the facts, some of them will be available to the investigators.

I will reiterate a common theme, HINDSIGHT. We can't turn back the hands of time. Easy to say now that YSRI might have been a better option.

Some thoughts out aloud:

-From above, the general area at the point of failure might have been covered with 8/8 cloud/fog, (note the transmission "visual on top"). Do I take an IMC approach and the possibility of a go-around assymetric, or continue on one.

-I would expect the aircraft to perform assymetric in cool conditions from altitude, with a profile that even with negative climb, would give me substantial range. I have ample fuel for crossfeeding (because I was fueled for a much longer sector)

- I am prioritising, controlling the aircraft, addressing the problem at hand, diagnosing, can I restore power to the troubled engine before I shut it down? (perhaps not a clear cut full power loss with pronounced yaw). Time and distance passes. Bankstown is getting closer.

The questions I'd like answered, and that we might learn from, (some of which probably wont be answered):

-What else transpired that resulted in lack of assymetric performance?
-What symptoms were available, and what diagnostics can we look for in the future that would indicate there might be further failure impending? There is no direct relationship between the two engines except electrical (no obvious factor) and fuel (I'm not going to venture down that path). Two independent powerplants, one fails to some unknown extent, what happened to the other one!!? Many aircraft have proceeded on one, with the expectation and result of assymetric performance, without loss.

To say that YSRI was the obvious choice, black and white, is to make a judgement as a time traveller, knowing the outcome, before the decision.

Hypothetical scenario, aircaft proceedes to YSRI, comes unstuck due poor vis, conditions below minima for piston engine aircraft, no coupled FD/AP, hand flying in an emergency situation with conditions below prescribed, similar outcome. I can hear the cries of why didnt it proceed to YSBK in VMC on one engine (staying VMC is a factor in the decision process), familiar destination.

I've tried to be as objective as possible under the circumstances.

I don't feel we have enough FACTS to say YSRI was the obvious and only choice, carte blanche under the circumstances.

I'm a GA pilot with some experience, by no means anywhere near an expert. Saddened by the loss of someone I knew and have personally flown with, and would also like some good to come out of this tragedy in the form of something we learn that will help others, whether it be human factors training, an engineering factor etc.

Safe flying to us all.