PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2010, 17:40
nomorecatering

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Does anyone know the state of the Hoxton Park runway. Its seems is track took him within 1.6nm of a safe haven, ie the Hoxton Park runway.

As a ME Instuructor, I have done over 100 inflight shutdowns on twins during endorsement training, 20m from BK at 4000, and have had to convert 4 of them to full featherd landings due to the engine not able to be restarted. 7000ft at 35nm. I too would have headed baack for YSBK.

It will be interesting to see the radar plots, was the descent a continuous one right to the ground, or was there a level segment at any time.

A couple of years ago I had a partial power loss at night over Point Cook at 4000. ATC were magnificent and literally parted the waters for me in regards to traffic. I dont know if I declared a Pan or a Mayday, I was too busy keeping the engine running.......sortof. I headed back to EN, I should have gone straight to Tulla, which was much closer, but the overwhelming drive is to go back to either your point of departure, or a field that you are familiar with.

What is concerning however, is the number of failures in 6 cylinder piston engines above 300Hp. Particularly turbo charged models. Worldwide, the statistics are shocking.