PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 19th Jun 2010, 15:55
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're missing the point though, MissM. Walsh is, I would hazard a guess, NEVER going to give staff travel back as part of a negotiated settlement to bring to an end these strikes. Too many other people in the company would be up in arms if he did.

A manager friend of mine said that she and "all the other crew managers would go mental if he gave it back" because of all the extra effort they had put in to keep the company flying.

Like it or not, and rightly or wrongly, a lot of people in this company are THRILLED that strikers have been punished for participating in the strikes by having their travel perks removed. Walsh would face uproar if he returned it as part of a strike-ending agreement.

What both parties need to do is drop the staff travel issue here and now. Find an agreement without the inclusion of staff travel. It's the only way this will be brought to a swift conclusion.

And in six months, after operating normally, Bassa should go back to the company and put a case forward to have staff travel given back. I think they'd succeed.

Walsh won't give it back as part of a negotiated settlement because his ego won't allow it. But he'll give it back to be 'nice' in six months time, I have little doubt.

Sadly, just as Walsh's mammoth ego won't allow him to give staff travel back, Bassa's equally hefty ego won't allow a deal to be done without its return.

So again, unfortunately, it comes back to who can sustain the strikes for longer..... And if the company is operating a 100% schedule, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out who that is likely to be.