PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2010, 13:44
Alice025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SadPole
"And in a way, the crew of this flight did a perfect military manouver, snicking onto that airport in deep fog, below the radar, from inside a ravine. If it wasn't for that tree, the ATC would never know what hit him. Suddenly, I feel better already. There could not have been any real Polaks in that cockpit if they would not figure out instantly what the "verbotten" H (Altitude Hold) button was for."

SadPole, in this sad lay-out I think I can live with any thing that makes you a happy Pole :o)

Civillian-military things interchangeable in USSR sure. Mass production, economy of scale and all. Still I am not exactly sure a TU154 gets oriented by radio altimeter as when the news got spread the crew used that all fell down. (the forum, I mean). Literally, flopped. By this indirect reaction I concluded it is not orthodox to use radio altimeters. Apart from the last 50 meters down. I read there, many mentioned, the navigator can use radio altimeter at that point - but must he? no idea.
Anyway a joke to lighten your spirits how a military USSR factory in Perestroyka is "converted" into peaceful things production. Kettles instead of T-34 tanks or smth. By the way a very real scenario. So a friend asks the manager how the transition went. And the chap sadly replies that there must be a bug someplace in the system. "We feed all the proper ingredients into the conveyor, a kettle whistle and a lid and? handsome red paint and all. The procedure is changed totally. The process is new. And then - out of the end of the conveyor - what do we get - there gets out invariably a T-34!"
:o)