PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we putting profit before safety?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2002, 10:27
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BoS

I agree with much of the sentiment expressed in your posts but must disagree on the no-blame question. You seem to accept that its OK to separate the aircrew from the office in this regard and I have to ask why?

I accept that if aircrew are found wilfully neglegent with regard to flight safety then of course blame must be apportioned. However I can see absolutely no difference between a policy from the top which might have the same impact. Decisions such as crew numbers, rostering policy and many others have a direct impact on the safety of the operation, as we well know. As you said at the end of your first post...' End result an expensive and dangerous mistake'. It's called corporate liability.

I no longer believe that the rank and file are listened to, its the OTP statistics and the bills that make changes. I and others consider the kitchen well alight and if you are a wet blanket you are desperately needed!

Nosig

Sorry but that's simply not good enough.

As an example of what happens in reality I would use the observations of a F/O made recently. During a short turnaround he was to join the Captain who operated the aircraft inbound. As he was strapping into his seat the question was asked ' Are you ready for a brief?' ie. the take-off brief! As he had not yet even seen the met, the notams, flight plan or practically any other information pertinent to the flight, he very sensibly declined.
This is not to judge the crew but it shows how the new system adds to existing pressures given the very nature of the operation.