PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 19th Jun 2010, 12:13
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have raised a grievance with regard to the removal of staff travel, as a punishment for taking part in protected industrial action.
Protected industrial action only covers unfair dismissal, not the withdrawl of ST. Especially where, within the Staff Travel regulations, it clearly states that the perk maybe withdrawn at any time.

Raise your grievance if you wish but expect it to be given the same dismissal as Duncan Holleys employment tribunal got.

Somebody is going to have to swallow their ego and as the senior partner I believe Walsh should make the first move.
Senior partner? Has BA become a law firm?

Why should Willie Walsh 'give in'? What has his ego got to do with it? The implications of taking industrial action were patently clear. In order to recoup as much of the possible losses incurred by the company during IA the 'perk' of ST would be withdrawn.

If you took IA you lost company gifted perks.

BA have been dealing with and attempting to negotiate with BASSA far longer than any other Union. I assume in BASSA speak that all other Unions jumped into bed with BA and are enjoy cushy deals as BASSA was the only Union WW wants? Never forget that WW was himself a Union rep before joining management. He knows how the local boards run, he knows that the local branch of BASSA don't have the full support of the membership, he knows that the company have been more than flexible with BASSA and he knows that the rest of the company, the board and the investors will not accept any compromise after the damage the Union has done.

Nothing to do with egos, all to do with protecting the company from the ludicrous strike threats that have appeared year after year after year.

This IA has no support from either within or without the company except for a dying bunch of hotheads.

Edited:

Just to add that, personally, I don't think this has anything to do with Staff Travel or the re-insttatement of personnel. Myself? I really couldn't care less if, as an olive branch, Willie Wlash gave staff travel back. I don't think most people would care that much either.

The problem here is Unites inability to control BASSA. As BASSA are the only ones within the fragmented Union who can actually call off the dispute they are the ones who need to be brough under control. Sadly something that is unlikely to happen in the near future.

Last edited by Wirbelsturm; 19th Jun 2010 at 12:28.