PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we putting profit before safety?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2002, 09:48
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat Pong, my comments are indeed sincere. Regarding pressure to meet OTP over the safe operation of our fleet, if you doubt me ask RDW himself.

GroundHog Night

The basis of the system is that it takes all crew resource and, within the default parameters, creates work patterns (pairings) which make the best use of available crew. That is efficient and therefore can save costs, e.g. although not popular with all, it significantly halved night stops thereby saving money, on the other hand this requires a higher degree of crew movements. Until all bases are fully up to strength then positioning will be necessary. I have not contradicted your senior pilot, he's right it does save money but, I say again, the introduction of the system is primarily to enable rostering to do their job efficiently, that of course will bring savings.

If you have missed the acknowledgement by the management group that we induced a complexity that we have had difficulty coping with operationally, then you may find it here. Further, if you examine the overall rostering patterns for August and latterly in September you'll see that the concerns of the crews have been heard.