PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Optic Nerve Head Drusen
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2010, 09:14
gone_fishing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys,

Optic Nerve Head Drusens, I've been told, cannot be treated. In 75% cases, so I've read, people will experience a further deterioration of their eyesights field of vision. However, most people do not go blind from the condition and few suffer affects to their central vision. It's all subjective, but I've read of people being diagnosed when they were 19 and only starting to have trouble when they're 50 or so (I'm currently 17).

Having, for years, wanted to go into commercial flying, I'm rather gutted and it still hasn't fully sunk in (even if I can get a Class 1, which I doubt, I have no idea how long I'd be able to keep within the standards - it could be 30 years, more or alot less). Still, I'd like to do a PPL if I can get a Class 2 medical or a Class 1 medical. Does anyone know where the CAA stand on this issue? I've still got to have some tests to confirm that it is as suspected (in a way, I'm hoping it is - all the other conditions that present with my symptoms are lot worse, that I've read).

Thanks again,
gone_fishing.