PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2010, 08:09
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
PBL
If the sim designers have done their job, then your mind is going to be thinking, yes we are still accelerating heavily after 20 seconds. But you ain't. And the real thing is going to feel different. There will be considerably more force on the body in the real thing. After that initial shove, the sim is working entirely on your body weight, whereas the real scenario is body weight plus all those kN from the motors.
Thanks a lot for your explicit elaboration. You answered my question from my post http://www.pprune.org/5695535-post418.html long time ago:

It is not my intention to disqualify simulator flying at all. But assuming a situation with spatial disorientation during TOGA could have happened like in the Gulf-Air Accident, a training situation like that will probably not happen in the simulator, or are they meanwhile as good as real live concerning movement and enviromental reality?
(sorry for quoting myself)

So the simulator is very valuable for procedural training, in this case we are discussing here it might even be counterproductive. You might expect the artificially generated feeling known from sim missions (heavy weight go-around with less than TOGA power and simulated acceleration) and might be totally surprised by the real thing (light weight, TOGA power, real life acceleration). Combine that with sudden loss of outside visual clues and a bad instrument crosscheck.....

Now i know, why we did instrument training in the T-37 and T-38 in the rear cockpit and under the hood, depriving you from any kind of outside visual reference but subjecting you to the real feeling for a complete mission from departure till landing.
franzl