PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 18th Jun 2010, 19:37
MrBunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MissM
MrBunker

I would have been happy to work to current crewing levels if they had been negotiated, not imposed.

You can disagree as much as you like. I still stand by my opinion that many are doing exactly what I have described. Look at the turnout of our previous two ballots, which have been in majority on both occassions. The numbers for industrial action have been high. Some of them crossed the picket line and only voted for industrial action to give the union a strong negotiation mandate. If we believe BA, the majority of crew reported for duty which includes a huge number of those who voted for industrial action. They are the ones I am referring to. Surely they can not have been pleasant with the changes to their terms and conditions because otherwise they would have voted against industrial action or not voted at all. The ones who went to work and do not mind with the changes to our terms and conditions are in minority of everyone who went to work.
Which is a world apart from what you said and, hence, I took offence as the implication wrt to my wife was unacceptable to me as I'm abundantly clear what her motives were and cowardice is so far away from her core values as to be laughable. I have little or no disagreement with you in regard to what you write above as I will never be able, just as you will not either, to know the motivations of every person who elected to work (indeed you note that it is in your opinion).

I can only offer the observations of the 2 crews I flew with during the strike, during which only one crew member expressed anything other than a disdain for the methodology and actions of unite (that crew member felt the threat of ST removal had forced them into work). I grant you, people, especially "people" people, can sometimes say what is wanted to be heard but that's merely an observation of those that I met during the strike. That's 21 out of 22 (had 2 vols on my second flight).

I do agree though, that from a point of view of support, there's a degree of opprobrium that's understandable for those who voted Yes and went to work.

Perhaps a misunderstanding of what the individual responsibilities of their voting Yes were?

MrB