PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 18th Jun 2010, 19:22
MrBunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PC767
I've made it clear that these cases are part of an exceptional circumstance. I have not stated a change in procedure should be permanent.

To negate these exceptional times back to normality and to rebuild trust for the benefit of all, I believe an independent solution is necessary. This is not BASSA wanting to change the rules to suit themselves, the outcome may confirm BA's initial assessment.

It is about settling a bitter and damaging dispute and rebuilding trust and cooperation.

I repeat for the final time, this is an exceptional case, subject to the most bitter dispute in BA's history and generally in recent times.
PC767

But the letter from Unite doesn't really ask for an independent assessment of the disciplinaries according to those procedures agreed between BA and themselves does it? It refers, as ever, in emotive language to "vindictive, disproportionate and unnecessary. Unite is therefore seeking the withdrawal of all disciplinary measures administered etc etc". So, I'm afraid it is rather BASSA looking to change the rules to suit themselves.

Hardly independent. More like, go away and leave us alone. This is not a request for ACAS to ensure the agreed procedures are being adhered to. As Eddy notes, a number of cases have been innocent and, indeed, even the CEO (much maligned as he is by so many on the Unite battlefront) has noted a number have had no case to answer and others have merely had "administrative" penalties applied. I'm not suggesting that's a pleasant thing but it's not the end of that person's particular career world. Also, appeals are available but, certainly for me, I'm not hearing much about any of those taking place.

I don't know Tiramisu but I do know Eddy and as he's spoken to her regarding today's observations in the CRC I've no reason to doubt his, and thus her, integrity in this matter and would ask you to think who exactly is bringing the bitterness and damage to this dispute. Exceptional case it may be but that doesn't mean the rules need to be flexed in order to resolve it. If anything I'd expect a more rigid application of the rules so that in the aftermath of all this terrible fiasco the review of actions will show that all applicable guides and regulations were adhered to. By both parties.

Tiramisu, on a personal note, sorry to hear about today's events in the CRC, some people very dear to me have been personally on the receiving end of some pretty underwhelming behaviour from her crews in recent times. What I do know is that BA are currently not remotely prepared to countenance such behaviour.

And finally, Eddy, on a lighter note (and, clearly, I'm avoiding football like the plague being on here at this time) it'd be a pleasure to buy you a pint when we fly next/am in the Arora. Hope you're well.

ATB

MrB