PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An aerodynamics question (for experts only)
Old 28th Jul 2002, 06:22
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPB ... just a quick one before I blast off...

Okay, yes, fine, lift increases. But it does so - at least initially - because of the extra thrust. The wings don't start contributing to lift immediately. The difference is the thrust, which is why we teach the trainee to apply both a power increase and an AoA increase together. This means the aircraft enters the climb in a more smoothly controlled manner and then maintains the climb (yes, okay, up to a certain point).

But, clearly, as was also said earlier, in a vertical climb, the wings produce zero lift. So there's a point at which the wings cease to generate that force. The upward force ("lift" seems to be the wrong term in this context) is then based solely on thrust.

I believe its important for a trainee to understand where the lift comes from.

But let me ask you a question - in a 60 Degree Banked turn how many G are you pulling? I reckon its 1 more than straight and level, i.e. 2. By your reckoning it would be 1.
You've just lost me here. Any turn at all can hardly be defined as S+L flight. Or maybe I should've qualified that condition by using the full terminology :- "straight and level unaccelerated flight"?

Happy trails mate!