PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith: Do You Agree With The Mandatory Broadcast Area in Class E Above D?
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:04
ozineurope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick you said - "Of course, I’ve said this many times before, but you simply do not accept that this could be possible. You seem to believe that a non-radar tower Controller can be given a huge amount of airspace – even with Class C with mandatory separation between IFR and VFR – and still concentrate where the collision risk is greatest, ie. close to the runway."

How many collisions were there at Hedland, Karratha, Isa, Rocky, Mackay, Alice etc when we had only CTA or OCTA? What was the airspace owned by the procedural tower in those times - not sure? I controlled SFC-FL250 in radiating steps (out to 200nm Hedland) with a 30nm CTR and did not have one incident and was never too busy to deny a VFR clearance or lose the picture. And that was when Hedland was doing 3500 movements per month

And guess what - we used to run circuits with 210s, 172s and the odd 310 mixed in whilst we had the morning sequence calling us. The 4 F28s who all arrrived at the same time mixing it with the 5 or 6 310s coming back form MBL, Redmont, Strelley etc. And yet we separated them all by using procedural standards, safely, efficiently and in an orderly sequence.

No Dick E over D is not safe - cause if the above scenario presents itself at Karratha with the proposed airspace there may also be a couple of VFRs who are at 20nm in E not talking to me and I may just drop the jet straight through him. Say it cant/wont happen.