PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS - without the personalities
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2002, 02:07
Feather #3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Reasons?

Fundamentally, there are two reasons to change;

1) AsA doesn't want to be in charge of any airspace from which it can't produce the appropriate revenue for the Government. Pure and simple. If the dubious revenue DTI in G service [which, without the nit-picking semantics, is really F] could be removed and the only airspace they had to administer was E and above, they would be greatly relieved. They've tried very hard to get rid of FS by reduction and marginalisation, but the service is required by ICAO in all classes of airspace.

2) AOPA as the voice of GA [can't hear anything from anybody else, can you?], have been pushing the "Free in G" campaign for some time. While getting close [and only this time Dug, I promise] to personality introduction, the progenitors of this campaign would see their ideal realised if the NAS was dropped onto Aust.!!

That's why.

What, I'd respectfully suggest, we need to debate here, is either/or,

A) do we need to change or is the present system adequate in balance of safety/service/costing since the majority of pilots seem to understand it?

B) if the NAS is introduced, how can we do it safely AND ensure its integrity?

Addressing (A),with all my hats on,I think we have a pretty good balance.

However, [B] is a two-edged sword!! The NAS works [very well, too ] in the USA because it's a PACKAGE!!! If you buy it, buy the PACKAGE!! Then look at how to teach ["Not in my budget!" the usual AsA response to this startling concept of change management] the users to utilise the package.

I'm heartened by ensor's analysis that a Safety Case will be developed and change management/education is to the fore in the minds of those seeking its development. Make no mistake though, fiddling with the NAS "because we're different here" takes us down the slippery road that developed LLAMPS and the homegrown beaurocracy that preceeded AMATS. We aren't different from the USA; the 'radar' is where the traffic is and there are procedures to cover the rest.

Enuff for now. My intention was to answer Achilles question.

G'day

Last edited by Feather #3; 28th Jul 2002 at 07:51.