PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 18th Jun 2010, 07:55
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You pays your money you take your choice?

There are (or have been in the past) a whole host of airlines offering different perks, salaries and routes. People choose their employer due to location, perks that suit them and if the pay covers their outgoings.

I think it's unfair to compare salaries inter-airline as when people join, they know what they are getting.

BA crew were not on poorer salaries asking for more. They are on good salaries, and have developed a lifestyle around it with mortgages, childrens education, parents in care homes, etc. Yes some are luckier and live in warmer climates with fast cars but it's certainly not the majority and usually as a result of length of service, intelligent management of the pursestrings or secondary income.
I for one have outgoings of £1400 a month and I'm lucky if I clear £1600 in my salary.

That said. BA never suggested a paycut. The union wanted to cut pay. BA only asked for the crew to work a little harder, increasing productivity. Makes fair business sense right?

Unfortunately now, with the strikes causing a further defecit in BA's financial rainy day pot, they may well have to cut pay overheads somehow. As the unions have said their members offered a pay cut already, then surely BA think the crew are happy with this and will use the offer (Thanks BASSA, well negotiated there! PS how many of your members agreed to a pay cut? Or did you forget to ask them all?)

Last edited by sixmilehighclub; 18th Jun 2010 at 08:45.