PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2010, 05:00
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davidgrant - Boo sir, boo

I'm sure it is just grief speaking, but you comments are well wide of the mark and can't go unchallenged.

I have been involved in airline training for many years, and we do not train monkeys.

Mostly, what we do is take GA pilots, strip out all the bad habits and dodgy practices, and teach them how to operate as part of a team, to a high professional standard. One of the qualities we instill is the ability to know when to say "no".

How dare we criticise GA? More like, how dare you NOT criticise GA, for that is where the worst side of aviation is most frequently seen, where the most accidents happen, and where the most pressure is applied to young pilots to do silly things.

In this case, I'd be the first to say that Andrew (who I do not know in any way) did his very best in a difficult situation. However, despite the training you gave him, the end result was tragic and from what I can tell, probably did not need to be.

And to imply that because an airline pilot might be less than effusive in his praise of this young man, he is therefore dangerous, is a step way to far.

Hopefully it only the grief talking... but if not... you should be ashamed.