PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 18th Jun 2010, 04:48
ekwhistleblower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Brit abroad working for one of your competitors, I have been following this dispute with interest. I can remember the strikes of the early 90s when my wife was called a scab for pitching up to do a job that she thought was fun, and in her words, 'money for old rope' compared to the previous jobs she had worked before. She always used to laugh at the senior CSDs that were effectively commuting from their toyboys in the Carribean and then bitching about how terrible BA were to work for.

Amazing how zip has been achieved by this action apart from padding your competitors bottom lines and disenfranchising your customers permanently. I feel for all those employees that value their company and are frustrated at misguided plonkers from the far left destroying it.

Good to see the union commanders are staying in the trenches to fight with you though:

THE union baron behind the BA strikes ruining thousands of families' holidays took his own break yesterday, flying off to the sun - on easyJet.

As cabin crew in the Unite union started yet another walkout, wrecking half-term trips, Tony Woodley jetted off on a budget flight to Cyprus with wife Janet.

Ironically, easyJet cabin crew waiting on him earn £9,000 LESS than the British Airways stewards he is causing chaos over.

There, the left-wing ex-car plant worker - who pockets £122,108 a year in pay and benefits from Unite - queued up to board the easyJet flight to Paphos. BA has admitted the strikes have seen passenger numbers dive, with the airline carrying 400,000 fewer people last month than in May 2009.

Yet despite record losses of £401million last year, Civil Aviation Authority figures show BA's 12,000 crew were paid an average of £31,400 in 2009 - up five per cent on the year before. The pay packet, which includes basic pay, overtime, and allowances, is well above other carriers.

In comparison, Virgin Atlantic's crew had their pay frozen at £14,400, crew at bmi suffered an average 6.5 per cent cut to £17,200, while charter airlines Monarch and Thomas Cook cut pay by about 13 per cent.

Good luck to the loyal hard working employees, to the militants smell the coffee.