PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith: Do You Agree With The Mandatory Broadcast Area in Class E Above D?
Old 18th Jun 2010, 01:21
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Bloggs

Your Post #1 is difficult to answer. For a start, you state that the unique broadcast area

has been created to optimise access for VFR
That’s what you believe, but I would have a feeling it’s been created to appease ill-informed people who don’t understand proper risk management.

If these broadcast procedures take away the attention from the Controller to concentrate on circuit traffic, I believe there’s a chance that safety will be reduced.

However, the number of VFRs flying in the airspace will be so small there will be probably be no measurable difference either way.

The reason the USA and Canada have E over D is not to provide access for VFR – as has been pointed out in the past, Class D when used correctly just provides a traffic information service for VFR, so there is no delay or access problem.

The reason these countries have E over D is so that the Controller – often a lone Controller in the tower – can concentrate on where the collision risk is greatest.

Of course, I’ve said this many times before, but you simply do not accept that this could be possible. You seem to believe that a non-radar tower Controller can be given a huge amount of airspace – even with Class C with mandatory separation between IFR and VFR – and still concentrate where the collision risk is greatest, ie. close to the runway.

Because you won’t accept this basic point of fact, it really is a complete waste of time in discussing the issues.

I say again – the only reason for the mandatory broadcast procedure is to appease ignorance. If it’s a way of introducing Class E – with the safety advantages stated above – considering that so few VFR aircraft will actually fly over in the broadcast zone, I suppose I would accept it.