PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - speed brakes vs gear down
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2010, 23:38
cortilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had exaxctly that situation a few years ago. After fuelling and pax numbers it seemed we would be over max landing weight (by about 500 kilos ish if i remember). So flew much faster than normal but neither the captain nor I were too comfortable with this. What if we needed the fuel at the other end (we'd taken min fuel anyway). However a few shortcuts and stronger than forecast tailwinds meant we made fuel.

Once we'd learned that destination was cavok (or near enough anyway) and alternate was also wide open. decided to descend about 100 odd miles earlier than we would have done. Pottered along at FL140. Level change to get down as quick as possible. Still wasn't enough.

Also had a few LMC's before we left origin so we ammended the zero fuel weight in the descent to the actual ZFW, that helped.

Final thing to do was drop the gear at about 12 mile final. According to the FMC we dropped under MLW at around about 800' agl.

At no time did we think to use speedbrake against power. Never thought of it and even if we had thought of it i don't think we would ever have done it. Speedbrake against power really goes against everything i was taught about flying a jet efficiently.