PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 17th Jun 2010, 22:45
Satan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss M,

Let's look at exactly how forensic BASSA have been in these "negotiations."

I'll pick one simple example; the 2.6% temporary paycut you offered.

Why did you offer it? Simple. Because it was the same as was agreed with BALPA, ie. the great nemesis, the pilots. But do you or any of your fellow travellers understand where that figure came from? Highlighting it highlights one of the biggest failures of BASSA's lack of understanding. Please moderators, bear with me, this is such a fundamental point it needs to be hammered home. Again.

Flight Operations were given a target to save (cost neutral for two years, a reflection of our market value position already, if you will.) This was presented to the union, who then asked to see the reasons why. They were then (certain named individuals) given confidential access to the company accounts (BASSA turned down the same level of access.) The report was, to put it simply; yes there is an issue, we can see the reasons why, we need to grasp this nettle.

But how to grasp it? There exist several mechanisms; pay alone, productivity alone, or a mix of both. So it was put to the membership in ballot. The rsult was a mix of both. A PERMANENT mix of both.

So much wailing and gnashing of teeth later, the result was that productivity could provide x% of savings acceptable to the membership. The rest would have to be made up from pay.

And exactly how much was that figure?

You got it. 2.61%.

Can you see why your offer of a similar pay cut is, to say the least, derisory? It shows such a fundamental misunderstanding of the process involved that you would have to question the competence of those who suggested it. Oh hang on, they are the self-same officials who, when they are not trousering their £100 a day over and above their salaries for their "union" work are the ones you pay to fully understand and explain the issues to you. In this case, the explanation you got was "the pilots took 2.6%, so will we."

The word pathetic comes to mind. The fact you were never given any of the options available to you to vote upon basically signals to me that your union is not fit for purpose. The fact that you cannot see that to this day speaks volumes about your engagement with the relevant issues.

Good luck in your "struggle." You will need it. None of BASSA's propaganda has been accurate so far, why should we believe any of it now? Personally, if I could continue to work with the crews I worked with during the strike, then BA would be a far better place to be. If you truly hate the company and its CEO so much, then please, go seek employment elsewhere, I for one do not wish to work with you.

Satan

PS My paycut since inception has been in the order of 7 to 10%. Slightly more than the 2.61% headline, as you always forget to include the changes to productivity, and therefore variable pay. PERMANENT changes, to boot, and please, notice how I've capitalised it in case you missed it: PERMANENT CHANGES.

If it keeps me in a job, I am happy to live with that. I am also happy to back BA in any way I can. If I felt you had a valid argument, I would back you 100%, but you don't. Therefore, I am backing my employer.

Last edited by Satan; 17th Jun 2010 at 22:55.