PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 17th Jun 2010, 22:40
Spanner in the works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MissM

Firstly I applaud you for continuing to participate in reasoned debate. Refreshing.

But....
A loan does not help the bottom line, no.
So how does a pay-cut to CC, only to be paid back,i.e a "loan" - help with the bottom line.
Yes - long term cost savings. Why do you ask the following?

Long-term cost savings? What else will happen? Will BA cease to exist? Doubtfully.
What else will happen? Not sure what you mean. It IS happening. Our income is reducing due to pressure on all sides. Our costs such as fuel (especially fuel) are rising and will keep on rising.
The pension deficit - although partly being sorted by changing terms, about to change again for members - is still going to have to be hugely funded by BA.

There are numerous reasons why BA cannot continue as a going concern - without changes.

I'm not sure why this fundamental point cannot be grasped. I haven't had a pay rise for three years. But I have a job and the hopeful prospect of pay rises in the future.
And as I have said before - BASSA/Unite must now realise there are good reasons for cuts as they started out by saying things were not as bad as BA were making out. Then they made offers that did not match the rest of the airline, but at least shifted from nothing to something even if it wasn't enough.
So they either admit there was/is a need and it needs to be on a par with other departments - or they don't.
You seem to think they don't. So why offer "anything" at all if all is rosy?