PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2010, 19:14
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEBF,

I don't doubt for a second that the future of manned FJ combat aircraft for the UK is Typhoon and Dave; the issue is all about which variant and timing.

However you want to look at it, Dave-B is compromised by the STOVL kit and requirements. Do we need STOVL? Only if we build CVF as currently designed (ie, as a STOVL carrier). Whilst STOVL is doubtless impressive and Dave-B a major technical achievement, it is a million miles from being operational, and it is still (i) more expensive (ii) shorter ranged and (iii) carries a smaller warload than its CTOL cousin, Dave-C.

So my 0.02 for SDSR is to opt for Dave-C tranche 2 starting in roughly 2018/20 to match ISD with OSD of GR4. This gets us the right jet - and retains basing options (ie, land + hotel, or ship thing + rum, bum, lash), and divorces the decision on CVF from the air wing. After all, one of the few things that there seems to be consensus on around here is that *IF* CVF is to be purchased, we may as well do it properly with CTOL and organic C2 with E-2D.

If the Pentagon are under pressure to drive costs down, and with a Hornet guy about to take over as Commandant, USMC, perhaps we'll be able to finally consign Dave-B to the record books, as well as EFV.

S41

PS, WEBF, if you actually believe
If, as some propose, CVF and JSF/JCA/F35 get canned, it will not only cripple our expeditionary warfighting capability, and reduce the influence our politicians and diplomats have on international matters, but also pretty much destroy our shipbuilding and aerospace industries.
Then may I respectfully suggest that you don't have the full picture.