PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 down in the North Sea (Threads merged)
Old 27th Jul 2002, 22:23
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We know from discussions following other crashes that opinon amongst members is divided about whether it is right to discuss possible cause(s) of a crash before the accident investigators have completed their investigations and published their report. I think discussion is inevitable and acceptable provided that contributions are responsible.

* Making allegations against manufacturers on a public forum is a fraught with dangers for the owners of the site.
* Alleging that negligence or some other failure by a manufacturer has caused a loss of life is irresponsible. If you feel your theory is right, find a newspaper or trade journal with sufficient financial resources to test your theories and publish them if they feel sufficiently confident.
* Saying "I will admit I'm wrong if in fact I am proven wrong" doesn't change the nature of the post. Nor does adding "I'm not implying that .........." when you obviously are.
* Inviting people to "ask Nick" questions about the S-76 which relate directly or even indirectly to the North Sea crash is irresponsible and unfair. As several people have pointed out, Nick cannot possibly be expected to answer questions on this thread.
* Claiming that because somebody hasn't answered a point to your satisfaction it must be because the answer would be damaging to their company is silly. Rotorheads is the leading helicopter website, but it is not an official investigation. It's particularly unfair to do that to someone who has given so much to Rotorheads.
* Finally, if one of your posts is edited/deleted, please do not repeat the deleted material in another post.

Please look at things from the point of view of the owners of this site:
Because we post anonymously, most contributors are just 'usernames' in cyberspace. The owners have no way of knowing whether an individual member is truly the expert he claims to be, a crank with a pet theory, or a disgruntled former employee of the company being attacked.
Pprune doesn't have the facilities to check whether an allegation is right or wrong. Apart from the potential financial implications of libelling a person or company, it is also unfair to allow people or companies to be attacked on a public forum when the allegations might be totally unfounded.

Heliport

Last edited by Heliport; 28th Jul 2002 at 16:20.