PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we putting profit before safety?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2002, 21:57
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree, Notso.

If all goes according to the book, then SOP's forward and aft will take care of it.

However, as soon as anything out of the ordinary occurs, then you have to revert to teamwork. To do that you have to have a team. And if the make-up of a crew is constantly changing throughout the day, then you have lost that element of protection. Put simply, you have just inserted a hole in one slice of Swiss cheese.

Furthermore, the entire design of FTL's in the UK (and elsewhere) includes the assumption that the entire team will be able to brief in the crew room before heading out to the aircraft and (preferably) debrief afterwards. Based upon this debrief, recommendations can be made to company, handling agents' performance reviewed, etc. etc.

The entire exercise smacks loudly to me of a beancounter's idea - false economy and eroded safety margins.

PS I must stress that the above is my personal opinion only, and does not necessarily represent the views of PPRuNe Management or other PPRuNe Moderators. I should have posted this under my normal posting nom-de-plume but neglected to do so.

Last edited by Captain Stable; 28th Jul 2002 at 10:47.