PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:12
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts
In an emergency the pilot in command may act as necessary to ensure the safety of the aircraft and its occupants. There is no requirement to actually declare an emergency before you act to save the aircraft, even if you are in controlled airspace and have to break the rules to do so. (CAR 100, et al)

CAR 20.6 Section 3.2 specifically allows the pilot in command of an aircraft with an engine shut down, to proceed to an aerodrome of their choice rather than the nearest suitable aerodrome, if they deem it safe and operationally acceptable.
Unhinged; Quite correct. I still quite clearly remember having a certain Instructor with the initials TK informing me of the above on numerous occasions during my CPL and MEIFR training.

Generally amidst a fairly thick smoke haze and high volume setting!

His point was that you were to get the aircraft back on the ground, as safely and quickly as possible using your own discretion, and argue about any regulation or disregard thereof afterwards, generally over a beer or three.

Sometimes however, it does not have a happy ending. That, regrettably, is something that is of occasion part of aviation.