PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Positivity
Thread: Some Positivity
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:07
Deano777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigger & Jumbo

I read that you didn't actually say there were jobs for everyone but if you take your post in context, and then understand completely that you are spouting on a forum of desperate wannabes then you have a wide audience, this wide audience as I said before could, and maybe does equate to 1200 - 1300 fATPL wannabes at any one time, and that is just the UK, if each and every one of those plus the people who are looking to train to keep that figure alive start training because you are giving crap advice then there is going to be a hell of alot of disappointed and broke people out there. Even in the height of recruitment it is estimated that only 200-300 brand new wannabes obtain employment per year. This leaves alot of people who will never gain employment.
You can stay as positive as you like.
You can network as much as you like.
You can be as passionate about the industry as you like.
You can be as clued up about the industry as you like.
You can be as professional as you like.
You can be as helpful as you like.
If there are no jobs, then there are no jobs, if there are only a few jobs, then there are only a few jobs. This won't change, so if, and I say if all the wannabes did this then there will still be alot of very, very disappointed and broke people out there.
Also what alot of wannabes fail to understand is that your 150hr/200hr CVs are almost all identical, if they were to put them all on a wall and throw darts in 20 of them (or most of them) they would all be the same. Nothing distinguishes one person's CV from the other, and this is generally why alot of people do not obtain jobs. In an interview do you think sitting opposite a chief pilot who has thousands of jet/turbo prop hours is going to be impressed with your "30hrs" twin MEP time? He's not going to give a monkey's dollop, do you think he'll be impressed with your 200hrs total time including the said 30hrs MEP and 20hrs IFR sim time? He's not going to give a monkey's dollop. Herein lies alot of the problem, but if there are little or no jobs, then there are little or no jobs.
Another thing you read on here is alot of people advising people to "follow your dream", "if you want it hard enough it'll happen". That's the biggest load of horse manure I've ever heard, it won't happen just because you "want it".

Now you have, whether you meant it in the context or not, advised all wannabes to go for it, work hard and understand the "implications", that's fine, but can you not see how many disappionted people there will be? When I got hired it was in the height of the recruitment boom, now all the people I had networked, studied and trained with, which was about 45 or so people, only 6 of us got jobs. Does that not tell you a story?
I am not being negative, I am being realistic, as are the majority of "negative" people on here, yet you construe that as bad advice, thats fine and that's what these forums are all about. To me though, telling the masses it's ok to train as there are "jobs" out there is a little deluded.

D777