PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2010, 08:48
Fake Sealion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go back to one of my previous posts......

IF the twin scope PAR was working....why did the controller complain to the investigators that the aircraft was not giving him height information when he requested it?

As he was giving "path and slope" info as per the CVR, this suggest it WAS working, therefore why did he need height info from the aircraft

Also he gave the command "horizon! " which further supports the view that ATC had height info on their scope and indeed witnessed the "dive" on the scope.

This puts to bed any blame attached to ATC I believe.....except perhaps an unexplained delay in calling "horizon" when the rate of descent was unusual to say the least. BUT that could be because he assumed the crew had acquired a visual reference and were diving under.

I go with the theory that the PF on hearing two consecutive 100m calls "thought" he was level at DH (possibly also believing it was baro-alt?)and felt safe to continue onward, looking for a visual reference.

A simple glance at the baro alt and/or vertical speed would have saved the day.. . Probably