PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster - Airtex & Canley Vale Rd Crash
Old 17th Jun 2010, 02:21
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a resistance to declaring a MAYDAY or PAN-PAN
I think there is, but not for the reasons suggested. I think it is more a product of human nature, especially amongst young, confident (but inexperienced) pilots, to under-state emergencies, in the belief that they have it under control and they can find a way to get down safely. Many would see it is a good thing to be able to tell the story in the bar afterward about how close they came, while at the same time doing it all by themselves with no outside help.

In this case, it seems the pilot thought he had it well covered, but things started to unravel as he got lower (as they often do), and he found himself rapidly running out of options. He probably thought the road was a viable last option, but just misjudged the obstacles.

Listening to the Centre tape, it is clear that the controller wasn't hanging around and was making preparations whether the pilot asked for them or not. Good for him.

So I think that this accident had less to do with company culture and more to do with a "can do" attitude that many young pilots have.

I would see a poor company culture typified by pressure to take aircraft that weren't properly equipped, or fly VFR rather than IFR in order to save money, in other words things that involved a conscious decision before the aircraft left the ground.

But then I don't know the company, so...