PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith: Do You Agree With The Mandatory Broadcast Area in Class E Above D?
Old 17th Jun 2010, 00:12
peuce

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I decided to find out the Minister's position:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding airspace regulation at Broome. The points you have raised will be considered.

Yours sincerely,

The office of Anthony Albanese MP

Sent: Monday, 14 June 2010 1:43 PM
To: Albanese, Anthony (MP)
Subject: Aviation - Airspace Regulation - Broome Issue

Dear Mr Albanese,

I am writing to ask for your point of view on an issue involving Airspace Regulation.

As you may be aware, the Office of Airspace Regulation, as part of CASA's responsibilities, is proposing to create a new Control Zone at Broome and Karratha Airports, in Western Australia.
As part of the architecture of these Class D Control Zones, the OAR is proposing a surrounding "veil" of Class E airspace ... with a VFR Broadcast requirement.

This VFR Broadcast requirement is contrary to the ICAO Class E Airspace specifications.

In your "Australian Airspace Policy Statement 2010" you state that:

39 The Government expects CASA to adopt international best practice in airspace administration. This includes adopting proven international systems that meet our airspace requirements. The Government‟s airspace strategy recognises that international airspace systems (such as the National Airspace System of the United States of America) include a range of characteristics that should be considered, and implemented as appropriate, by CASA.

The apparent conflict between ... what is proposed ... and ... your stated policy ... has created a deal of confusion amongst the flying fraternity, myself included.

My question to you is:

1. Do you believe that the proposed changes are inline with your stated policy?
2. If not, will your policy be changed, or, will the proposed Airspace changes be amended.

Thank you for your time.

Yours faithfully,
Unfortunately, I still don't know it ...