PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 20:58
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dukof has a good point about the early range calls from ATC. The centreline portion doesn't matter because it's correct throughout, and doesn't change. The glideslope calls are invalid, but the pitch corrections match the internal altitude calls not the ATC calls, so I don't think the crew are acting on these either. It is possible the ATC range calls were being used by the crew, but even considering Dukof's points they are still in a relatively steep descent for a long time. At 6.8m/s sink rate, then 20m is gone in 3 seconds. This isn't a quick dive from 100m down to 80m.

If calling the RA readings is standard, then presumably this is the Nav's job as that's what he is doing.

The start of this still, I think, goes back to the approach briefing, or lack thereof. Can somebody find and translate this please, or point me in the direction of it (I've tried previous links without success). I'm sure RetiredF4 as an IRE will have said the German equivalent of "good landings start with good approaches, good approaches start with good approach plans" more times than I've had hot dinners. My IREs always said this. I always said it when I taught IF.
The PF has presumably got everyone calling altitudes so he can look out. There is either no clear horizon, or there is a horizon but he's slow. Either of these would give the wrong descent rate. The key thing is the lack of correction to straight and level after the first two "100" calls. I still think that this is because the PF believes he already is level. And he is 'level' on the RA, as the blue line on that lovely graphic shows.
It seems pretty obvious to me that no one is checking the instruments except for the altimeters.