PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 18:05
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too, am banned from the other place, as I am a recent ex-employee, and hence deemed to have no right to comment.

Anyway, with regards to discharging of oxygen bottles by crew leaving the aircraft prior to a sector I would like to comment and draw a parallel.

1. Part of the cabin crew checks are to check that the bottles are full prior to departure at their individual crew station.
2. Crew not reporting a problem with the bottle are likely to dump themselves in the mire if the subsequent crew report the problem as either way they have either discharged the bottle or not done their checks diligently
3. Crews will therefore tend to report a problem promptly before departure.
4. This may delay departure (and they themselves may well have discharged the bottles in order to make the delay)

Irrespective of any the above, BA will undoubtedly record all crew names against all such incidents and be looking for trends and repeat names. They will then target checks of aircraft pre-boarding to check oxygen levels in order to determine likely timings of the discharging (ie on coming or off going crews) and follow up as appropriate with a disciplinary as appropriate.

For those crew who do not think this a possibility, would ask them to think about the rummaging campaign of 2007-8 that revealed several serial thiefs amongst crew.

I, myself, witnessed one such episode of a purser being taken off to the Heathrow police station having admitted removing 200 ciggies. Do crew really believe these rummaging episodes to have been random? I suggest not, and that the same tactics will be deployed against the serial oxygen dischargers.

Be warned, be afraid .... and stop being stupid