PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Final Report on US Airways 1549
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 17:51
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dozzy

you just said the airbus had a much heftier impact...and earlier in this thread I spoke of increasing airspeed early on in the glide in order to be sure you had enough speed to reduce descent rate just prior to touchdown (flare reserve as I call it).

you have made my case for me. the dc8 flew again because it touched down at a proper speed and normal descent rate and because it was a stronger air frame.

the airbus touched down at a greater descent rate and was really pretty badly torn up.

look, sully did fine, is that what you want me to say? but anyone of us in the future just might hold an extra 10 knots to cushion the flare...after all, he wasn't gliding to any point in particular, just to the hudson.

The DC9 / hail incident is a very good one to look at. I do remind the poster that the windshield was obliterated by hail and hard to see through. I doubt if they could have found a lake to set her down in.

also, weather conditions causing hail are more predictable and avoidable right now and way in the past, then bird enocounters.

right now, the best advice to all pilots is the same from a piper cherokee to a 747..

If you lose all engine power, trim for best glide and head for your PRE SELECTED FIELD for a power off landing. Always be thinking...where will I land right now if things go bad with the engines? Takeoff until over the fence for landing.

After you are trimmed for best glide (and in jets this is often near min clean maneuvering speed) and heading for your PRE SELECTED FIELD, THEN attempt a restart, advise atc and the cabin.

FLY the plane first and then do the checks.

Jet engines are very reliable. I honestly think most pilots don't consider the all engine out scenario on EVERY flight.

And, just as a reminder, you can glide ABOUT 2-3 nautical miles per 1000 feet above the terrain depending on wind.

For high altitude all engine failure, you may lose pressurization and don't forget your oxygen mask.

All of the above should be in your brain and not on a checklist. Just like the musicians of the US Marine Corps Band know the "Star Spangled Banner" by heart, a pilot better know the above by heart.