PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 down in the North Sea (Threads merged)
Old 27th Jul 2002, 17:00
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To: Flight Safety
Isn't that what I said in my post above relative to the properties of Titanium?. There is a post I made on the Rotor blade failure forum.
Lu
Quoted passages deleted. If you want to refer to exhanges on another thread, please post a link.

I made several comments on a post that has since been removed alluding to [Edited again by Heliport]
An S-76 suffered a major lightning attachment incident and the following words are from an AAIB accident report. AAIB Bulletin No. 3/2001. Aircraft Registration Sikorsky S-76 (modified), G-BHBF This helicopter suffered major trauma and many parts were changed and many were replaced. (These are my words). Quote:…….The horizontal stabiliser was scrapped, being damaged beyond economic repair. The major components found to have been effected were returned to the manufacturer or approved overhaul agencies. In most cases no procedures for the necessary repairs existed. In other instances no effective inspection techniques appropriate to lightning events were available. Most of the major components were therefore not returned to service, but replaced using new or overhauled components. (Unquote) This question begs asking. If there were no inspection procedures in existence what criteria was used to return this blade to service? I am not implying that the lightning strike and the eventual blade failure had any thing to do with each other.
There is a post by Magbreak on the North Sea thread. Also there is an interesting post by Flight Safety on the properties of Titanium. If anyone wishes to read them, they can.
Quote: In the ASB issued at the same time as the AAIB statement Sikorsky mention 8 blades that are known to have been involved in lightning strikes. An amended version came out today stating that all blades involved in lightning strikes on the ground and in the air should be removed before the next flight. Unquote. Speculation deleted.
According to ATA regs. when an aircraft enters service the operator will receive copies of the required manusls to include a repair manual and an overhaul manual. In the case of the S-61s these manuals were never created (at least in reference to the two effected S-61s). Edited

Last edited by Heliport; 27th Jul 2002 at 21:08.