PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 16:32
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
General Blasik is (sensibly) making calls at approx 10 second intervals (he probably skipped 08:40:12 because of the ATC call). Those six seconds were between his scheduled calls. Or, he's calling increments of 50m, and they hadn't reached 50m in the six seconds. It wasn't his job to call DH. Having been in several 'on limit' approaches, I think it is best just to keep providing the raw info and let the Captain make the decisions. Or as RetiredF4 says, passing DH he could have switched to helping to look for the runway. Or he could have not called DH because the Captain would probably have taken this as an effective command to go around without the runway in sight, and the General probably had his job on the line with this approach also. Given another few hours, we could all come up with more alternatives. My gut feeling is that RetiredF4 is right.

I must say that I don't think ATC should have been calling "on glideslope" without the data. I recall RAF PAR/no glideslope approaches having calls like "4 miles, on centreline, should be passing 1000 feet", which is a lot easier to absorb.