PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for ICUS
Thread: Paying for ICUS
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 14:26
Reading5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the Pay for ICUS debate that once raged.....

I hear your concerns and they are fair and reasonable concerns, however there are a few points that we should all consider.

Virgin Blue Pilots have to pay for their 73 endorsements and they pay off the debt gradually.

Also to fly a Chieftain, you require 50 command or ICUS hours to hire or fly one in command and at an operating cost of around $800+ per hour, that is quite a costly exercise to try and get those hours up if you are paying for them.

In addition, some of us who want to gain or consolidate some valuable IFR and/ or night IFR experience or currency and we have an excellent opportunity to do it at a reasonable rate, by doing the night IFR ICUS.

$120 per hour for night IFR ICUS experience in a Chieftain compared to around $500 for IFR training or flying in a Seminole and what would you choose.

Also, TASAIR, who operate from Tasmania offering the $120 ICUS is at least half the rate of the Tasfast rate who operate out of Moorabbin.

The other point I wish to make is that by carrying the pilot conducting the ICUS means that the payload may be reduced, thus reducing the return they may be making on the cargo run anyway.

I am only speaking for myself and find it a great way to enhance my experience base and flying in a challenging but safe situation.