PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 13:36
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with others, there is more to this than meets the eye, it just doesn't add up to me.

if there was Jet A1 in the tanks, it would have been in the bottom so hard to see how he got to 7000'.

Everyone is saying how professional the guy was. That being the case, I am wondering why he didn't shout "Mayday", state the nature of the emergency, and so on. I am also left wondering why he went for the road and not that big bit of grass, but hey, hindsight is easy and not really fair on the poor guy... but those questions must be asked.

Many are repeating the standard mantra, "wait for the report". Sure, we shouldn't jump to conclusions... but what do you seriously expect it to say? It might establish the cause of the failure(s), but it won't explain what the pilot was thinking, which is what really matters in this case. Having just got back into GA after many years in the airlines, I am struck by the lack of discipline, professionalism and experience in the GA world. Not to say that GA pilots are bad pilots, more that they simply don't have the depth of training that allows those qualities to fully develop. Some of the stuff I have seen in recent months in GA makes my toes curl. A lot of these guys are taught, or required, to cut corners - it's actually quite criminal.

That's why I wonder why he didn't just yell "mayday" and take vectors from 7000 feet. With that much altitude to play with, it shouldn't have been an issue to have made a safe landing - although it does seem that he was very unlucky not to successfully make the road.

Anyway... RIP.