PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 12:11
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deliverence

I take your point BUT I don't think we can afford a carrier-based platform able to mix it with the likes of the SU35 with a BVR missle. (If we were up against that kind of threat then a. we hopefully wouldn't be there alone and b. would have some land-based assets at our disposal such as the Typhoon/F22.)

I was thinking more of the kind of multi role the Harrier "family" (including SHAR could do) but using essentially a simple proven airframe many people will be familiar with which a. was designed in the "austere" period following WW2. b. designed, tested and produced in a short time. c. was cost effective. d. liked by its pilots and e. effective. (It wouldn't have stayed in service so long if it hadn't been good.)

With modern defensive aids, sensors and modern engine technology in a proven airframe (bin the high-tech STOV/L elements) and use of high-tech precision weapons - you have got all the ingredients you need. It doesn't need to be ultra agile or fast but if it had the subsonic performance of the Bucc that would do. So there's the answer, more Bananas! Buccs also had long legs (considerably longer than Tornado) and an internal bomb bay; what's more it was a 100% British carrier ac! Oh, dear nostalgia getting the better of me....

MB

Last edited by Madbob; 16th Jun 2010 at 13:26.