PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas Airbus On Indian Ocean Rescue Mission.
Old 16th Jun 2010, 11:32
JohnMcGhie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOLAS...

Just a quick thought, and I haven't read back, and I haven't checked her exact location...but some assistance from Diego Garcia not an option? US citizen..US forces.....I guess I'm asking why am I paying (Taxes) to rescue US citizen whn US interests are so nearby....again assuming they were in vicinity, sure if she was just off the coast at Fremantle...different, though I still think there is something to be said for user pays............
Check post #23 in this thread. Australia is a real, grown-up country (well, some of the time...) and we're a signatory to the Safety of Life at Sea treaty.

If Jess had been less well-prepared and less well-equipped, the Americans would have had to go and get her when she was in their territorial waters.

Abby was inside our territorial waters: by only about 100 km, I believe, but she was on our patch.

We wouldn't want to give the Americans the idea that we run away from our obligations at such a moment, now would we? Otherwise, the next time we get ourselves into a blue, the next President Roosevelt may just decide that his citizens' taxes could be better spent otherwise...

Cheers