PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 11:12
Grogmonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have waited and read all of the previous posts. Here are some facts guys. I have personally experienced a total and complete engine failure in a Chieftain. It happened shortly after departure at approximately 1500 ft AGL in clear cool weather at this time of the year. I was at MTOW with 9 POB. Once I got over the shock and feathered it the aircraft flew fine at 135 KTS. I was even able to reduce power so as not to cook the remaining engine. I can confirm that it easily maintained height as in my hurry to sort things out I forgot to turn back towards the runway until approx 6 miles out. I was very lucky and I know it. Bottom line a Chieftain will fly on one. Having said that I have not flown the type concerned but as previously discussed at 7000 ft over YSRI something must have badly went wrong for it not to be able to return to YSBK.

My point is that there must have been some other contributing factor as Jabawocky pointed out. I firmly believe that this will come out in the investigation. It may have been fuel contamination, both engines. It may have been the pilot's decision to remain OCTA hence giving away valuable altitude staying under SY CTA. I suspect that was a contributing factor and if so my heart goes out to him. He was obviously a well liked professional operator and even though I did not know him I feel a deep sense of loss. I hope for his sake that we can all learn something from this once the facts come out. Fly safe guys.

Groggy