PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thor missile photos 1963.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 09:56
Johnboyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thor missiles

As author of 'Project Emily', (signed copies available) I am interested in the various posts to this thread, Small point: don't go to Hendon to see the Thor, it's not there any longer, it's part of the display in the Cold War Museum at Cosford - well worth a visit. There is some reason to believe that it is not in fact one of the RAF's IRBM but has been reconfigured to look like one (info from one of the Sqn COs) but I have not yet managed to research this fully. There is a second Thor as a launch vehicle at the National Space Museum at Leicester. Incidentally, I am writing a second 'Thor' book looking in greater detail at the UK/US aspects of the project. I am keen for any memories, however great or small, from those who were around at that time. So if anyone wants to help, please let me know.

Demolishing the launch pads: One at Feltwell was demolished as golf balls were ricocheting off the blast walls to the danger of fellow golfers. It took three months, so the other two have just had the walls removed and the rest covered up.

RAF roundels: Part of the reason was indeed to emphasise in the public eye and through the media that these were RAF missiles, not USAF ones. Politically this was a sensitive issue at the time. (And if you want to know why they didn't also initially carry yellow trainer bands as well during the work up phase then read my book)!