View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 09:33
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
th87

It's a couple of years old, but this might give you an idea:
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-job...-day-life.html
One of these days I might get round to updating it, but I still love the job as much as when I first started.

I think it's fair to say that job satisfaction varies tremendously, depending on a number of factors: employer, base location, route network, pay, lifestyle, and not least one's expectations when coming into the industry. Personally I'm very happy with my lot, but I've always been a 'glass half full' type of chap, and I recognise that other people's situations (even within my own base) might not be so good. It's pretty unscientific, but in my limited experience, the few miserable sods you meet have generally gone straight into flying from school or university, and have known nothing else. Career changers (again, in my limited experience) tend to be happier, possibly because they have the perspective of having worked in the outside world, and can appreciate the benefits of flying as opposed to a 9-5 office job. That's my theory, anyway.

Regarding aircraft type, as I said before, it's very much secondary to pay and lifestyle. If I can generalise however, the bigger the aircraft, the greater is the tendency to 'operate' it rather than 'fly' it. The comparison in my company is between the Q400 and E195, and while the jet is regarded as the cushy option, with more sophisticated avionics, greater automation and more user-friendly systems, people who have flown both regard it as a bit boring compared to the Dash – which on a good day is an enjoyable challenge to fly, and on a bad day is a right handful. However, the 'fun' element of flying the turboprop is being eroded by ever more restrictive SOPs, so in practical terms there isn't really much difference.

Regardless of aircraft type, any airline flying has a tendency to become monotonous after a while (particularly if you're operating a small route network) and it's very different to poling around VFR in a Robin or PA-28. Personally I couldn't care less, because (a) they're paying me for the privilege, and (b) I get my flying fix from being around aircraft and admiring the views from the flight deck. Each to his own though.

Reading between the lines of your post, it sounds like you are best off getting a PPL and doing some pleasure flying to start off with. You'll soon know if it's got under your skin (it's a bit like falling in love, you just know) and whether all the grief and expense of commercial training is worth it for you. Everyone is different, and there is no simple right or wrong answer.