PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 08:47
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That depends on how bad you think the fog is compared to how good you thought your chances were at making the field with height to spare.

As it turns out a foggy ILS may have been a better option.

As for Capts' Mofo and Fathom, you no doubt have far greater experience than I do, but that does not mean that I do not have a valid option, and one that plenty of professional pilots would also elect to take.

Like those folk who had a dummy spit at the idea of descending below the minima on a GPS runway aligned (and with RAD ALT) at Norfolk .....well folks he did bust the minima in the end didn't he....and nobody remembers that.

All I say is you need to think about your options and not allways the textbook ones as they may not be the best option if a few small things go sour.

For me, fog at YAMB with an ILS or YBAF, hazy and at 8am lots of traffic on roads and houses and industrial area, or AMB with lots of paddocks and an ILS with a big runway and a chance of seeing it even if below the DA.

This is a side issue....why does a twin not make 20+ miles from 7000' with some power left?

Miraz...multiple problems making things worse....well if so and YSRI is close...go there cleared or not. If they only happened closer to YSBK, well that is bad luck in your faith of a twin, but that re-enforces the idea of nearest available...which would have been YSRI.

I am not for one minute stabbing this poor guy in the back after the event, so do not take offence, as Green Goblin and I both know of late what those close to the dead pilot feel, any of my posts here are about what would I do....and if that helps a discussion that may help me or some new youngster one day, all the better. Some good has to come from all the bad.