PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windmilling propellers
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 07:39
Micky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I read the question and sorry no I can not point you to source where you can find information on this. But I think you are getting things muddled up.
If an engine would fail due to fuel starvation, the engine`s power output would start to get less there for the prop governor will decrease pith from coarse pitch to fine pitch to maintain RPM.(reducing the force it takes to turn the propeller) just like when you reduce power during descent/approach. You can even hear the the propellers running to fine pitch (change in sound and vibration). Secondly no piston engine will keep on windmilling due to the internal forces of turning the engine (try turning a big six cylinder engine on the ground...) It might be different for turbo prop engine's but I have no experience with these.

And when the engine is not working no supercharger will work or turbocharger.
And Boost Indication will show 0 Boost on ground if at sea level and ISA(When engine is stopped). So inflight you would find that it would indicate the actual air pressure(when engine is stopped) there for being less then 0 Boost. Normal Cruise power setting on my Airplane being around -0,5 to +1 Boost. So yes you would notice it.
And as the engine is not working Oil pressure would be 0psi, but Oil temp would only slowly decrease as well as Cylinder heat temperature. But they would initially stay the same.
And last but not least as John has said you would notice the failure as the props being in fine pitch would mean your really creating a lot of drag. Therefore creating yaw. Hopes this helpsK: