PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Writ plea against engaging foreign pilots in India ...
Old 16th Jun 2010, 07:16
alphabravocharlie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@saurabhm_101

Being one of the unemployed ones too, I understand the need for Expats working here.
To understand the need for expats has got nothing to do with being employed or unemployed. This petition has not been filed in court by 200 hour CPL holder.

Indian pilots do not have the experience to match up to the requirements of just jumping in the left seat. More than experience, the pilot needs to be mentally prepared too.
Son, with all your 200 hours credentials, you sure do seem to know how to run an airline. Why dont you apply to the airlines for the post of Chief Pilot or VP.Ops instead ? Since you really seem to know all about experience and flight time requirements and upgrades ?

I have friends who are flying with different carriers and have been offered command but have turned it down because they choose to fly for some more time before they become PIC.
again son, you're romanticising. Either you're cooking up fairy tales or your friends are telling you fairy tales.
Im sure your friends are not in jet airways or jetlite, kingfisher, spicejet or indigo or air india. because I have friends in all these airlines and they tell me how frantically desperate they are to either get a chance for wide-body or command upgrade. and they also tell me how the company promised them upgrades at certain number of hours but are being refused now because of the number of expat P1s on contract.

(perhaps your friends are in paramount airways or blue dart or some other charter co ?? )

We need the Expats and without them Indian Aviation would go nowhere. Think of it this way, with more Expats, the airline can fly because there is no shortage for commanders. They fly so they make money. They make money so they order more planes and start up new routes. Which in turn means first officer openings will pop up which, we, will be able to apply for.
Or think of it this way :
with more expats, the airline managements saves a lot of money which they would have to otherwise spend on intensive training of local crew. Training and bringing low time pilots to standards requires a good amount of money.
This money is much greater than the salaries paid to expats.

hence airlines will continue to hire expats at much higher salaries compared to Indian pilots because that is still cheaper than investing on simulator training for the local crew.

go see the rates for rental of simulators anywhere and examiners for training per hour and compared it with the amount of money spent on expat salaries (with allowances).

and dont worry about planes being parked on ground because of lack of commanders.
Airlines are run by businessmen. They know how to utilise their planes in whatever way to satisfy the local rules and regulations in place.
If there is a deadline to phase out expats then airlines will be forced to spend money on training and speed up upgrades of local crew and try their best to have minimum number of expats.
If there is no deadline set by DGCA and if there is no pressure from the public or media regarding expat phaseout then the airlines will never aggressively train and upgrade the local pilots which result in stagnation at the lower levels.